As we enter uncertain times with the Coronavirus (COVID-19) disease declared a pandemic by the World Health Organisation, our profession will be relied upon more than we have ever experienced before.
EHPA continues to closely monitor the situation based on the advice of the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), the lead Victorian agency dealing with the Coronavirus pandemic. The Victorian Government has launched a COVID-19 Pandemic Plan for the Health Sector and activated a State Control Centre, with Emergency Management Victoria to co-ordinate and oversee the state’s response.
Environmental Health Officers will be relied upon for providing expert advice about COVID-19 within your organisation. As the situation is rapidly changing, I encourage you to all keep up to date with the latest advice from trusted sources such as:
- Subscribe to the CHO alerts
- Subscribe to the COVID-19 newsletter by emailing: COVIDfirstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow the Chief Health Officer on Twitter: https://twitter.com/VictorianCHO
- Bookmark the following webpages:
- Victorian Department of Health and Human Services – https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus
- Australian Government Department of Health – https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert
- World Health Organisation – https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus
For members who are looking for some further guidance, our SIGs are busily preparing a support package that may assist. In the meantime become familiar with the Pandemic Plan, support the Emergency Management, Business Continuity, Risk Management, Human Resources, Workplace Safety, Aged Care and Communications teams to promote good health hygiene messages to staff and the community.
The EHPA Board is meeting via teleconference next Tuesday to discuss impacts on our company and will provide further updates on any changes.
Remember to take care of yourself, family, friends and work colleagues through what will be a challenging time ahead.
Adam Lee | National President | Environmental Health Professionals Australia Limited